Monday, December 20, 2010
Have a great Holiday and enjoy some Funkadelic clips.
Friday, December 17, 2010
Friday, December 10, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
You kids are lucky duckies this week... 2 mixes posted almost back 2 back.
This one comes from Mark Wohlgemuth.
Mark performs as Kram Ran as well as 1/2 of Alpha Couple w/ his lovely partner Kristel Jax.
These guys also run a great little gallery called Freud's Bath House & Diner. They've been super supportive of weird music in Winnipeg and we LOVE them for it.
Here's Mark's 1st snow day mix
Poured Out On Snow - An Early Winter Mix
1. Wixel - "Briksdal" (Norway/2009)
2. Tujiko Noriko - "Endless End" (Shojo Toshi/2001)
3. Nuno Canavarro - "Untitled" (track 5) (Plux Quba/1988)
4. Black to Comm - "Musik Fur Alle" (Alphabet 1968/2009)
5. Elizabeth Anka Vajagic - "Around Here" (Stand with the Stillness of this Day/2004)
6. XXL - "Last in the Society" (øSpicchiology?/2007)
7. Richard A. Ingram - "De Montford" (Consolamentum/2010)
8. Labradford - "G" (Mi Media Naranja/1997)
9. Max Richter - "A Sudden Manhattan of the Mind" (24 Postcards in Full Colour/2008)
10. Luciano Cilio - "Primo Quadro 'Della Conoscenza'" (Dell' Universo Assente/1977)
11. Library Tapes - "Feeling for Something Lost (Part 2)" (Feelings For Something Lost/2006)
12. Belong - "I Never Lose. Really Really" (October Language/2006)
13. Sparklehorse + Fennesz - "Goodnight Sweetheart" (In The Fishtank 15/2009)
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
New Mix - It's all over the place - For good times and bad times.
Get Into It
Robert Fripp - Under Heavy Manners (God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners)
Chrome - Firebomb (Third From The Sun)
High Places - On Giving Up (vs. Mankind)
The Ex - Constitutional State (Singles. Period.)
The Lift Boys - Anarchy Village (Anarchy Village / Anarchy Way)
Pre Fix - Underneathica (Underneathica 7'')
Mi Ami - Version (Echononecho)
Tampax - UFO Dictator (Hitler SS/Tampax E.P. 7")
Matrix Metals - L.A. Vampires Beat 6 (L.A. Vampires Instumentals)
WolfCow - Medium Varney (Wolfcesticide)
The Missing Brazilians - Savanna Prance (Warzone)
Matrix Metals - L.A. Vampires Beat 8 (L.A. Vampires Instumentals)
WALSH - Westworld (Smoke Weed About It) 1
Shriekback - Lined Up (Care)
Saturday, November 13, 2010
1. No UFO's - Mind Control c25. The follow up to the brilliant Soft Coast cassette.
2. Krautheim - Madchen auf der Rennbahn c39. Krautheim = 21st Century Krautrock.
Go to the Releases page to check art and samples.
Some other stuff in the works too... Auntie Dada/Preanderthals 2x Cass and what promises to be a WILD dub jam compilation by Fletcher Pratt.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
The latest in the Dub Ditch series comes from our friend Tom from Vancouver.
He runs the most excellent label VIDKID Tapes.
I recently picked up the Haunted Beard cassette as well as the triple split cass of Shipyards, H.B., and Les Beyond - I heartily endorse both cassettes.
Tom most graciously put together a very DDP friendly mix for you enjoy.
Dark October Night
- Shin Joong Hyung & The Donkeys - Shi-Ruh
- Thanh Mai - Song Cho Qua Hom Nay
- C.A. Quintet - Blow to My Soul
- The Cobras - Goodbye
- Rotary Connection - Respect
- The Fugs - I Want to Know
- The Godz - Dirty Windows
- Memphis Goons - San Antonio Desert
- Peanuts Family - Samba Party
- Fugi - I'd Rather be a Blind Man
- Captain Beefheart - I'm Glad
- Pool-Pah - Winter in April's Eyes
- Omega - Idorablo
- Leland - Goodbye, My Loneliness
- Armand Schaubroeck Steals - I Came To Visit but Decided To Stay
- The Jacks - This Road
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
So much stuff... Always a good time.
Stay tuned for Dub Ditch releases from No UFO's, Krautheim, and Grand Selector.
Be Most Rad
Friday, October 8, 2010
This week I grabbed a handful of sound from the store so you can hear what you're missing. Lots of great Canuck underground weirdness. Don't be lazy, don't miss out.
Secret Pyramid- Permanence
WolfCow- Norman Slash
Cave Dudes - Preyer Temple
Wapstan - Hail Saturn, The God of Time
WolfCow - Strobe Finger
Ghostlight - Harder Shade of Dark
Cave Dudes II - Midnight Viper
WolfCow - I'm Sickle
Under Heaven - Untitled
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Sunday, September 26, 2010
I got invited to do a DJ set at the Nuit Blanche celebrations Sept. 25th in Winnipeg. It was held at Freud's Bath House & Diner under the name "Cvlt Nłgh‡ I: Prłsm Break".
THIS is the mix I threw together. (If you have good ears, you'll catch that I swiped the intro from Greg Davis' great G.D. Mix).
- Intro (Bill Graham/The Grateful Dead)
- J. Biebz - Usmileambient (edit)
- Boredoms - (Arrow Up)
- Cruise Family - Forever A-side (edit)
- Jim Collins - Jesus
- Happy Dragon Band- 3D Free-electronic
- Soft Circle - Stones and Trees
- Fushitsusha - Magic II
- Construction - Fade Out
- QOTSA - 18 A.D.
- Chrome - Firebomb
- Les Rallizes Denudes - Night Of Assassins
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Saw the boys play at a small theater in Winnipeg last night and they didn't hold back at all. Total spectacle - total party.
I've had a mixed version of Zaireeka around the offices for a bunch of years now and thought I'd share it and the Soft Bulletin Companion in honor of a great show.
Soft Bulletin Companion
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Friday, September 17, 2010
The second mix in this series comes from F.P. Tranquilizer a.k.a. Bill Northcott.
Here's some press on the latest F.P. Tranquilizer tape from Fast Forward Weekly
Winnipeg weirdo label Dub Ditch Picnic mailed me a copy of FP Tranquilizer’s Summer Tape, and I’m stoked to pay the favour forward. From the mind of sole member Bill Northcott comes twisted, Ween-style pop songs dipping into glam rock, basement electronics and lo-fi disco. Songs include “I Want to Chop Off Your Head,” “I Wish You Were an Icicle” and organ-drenched opener “Crispy Big Ones,” which could be a chart-topper in an alternate dimension.
Bill and I used to host the Faktory together... we may do more radio in the future.. until then I'll keep posting Bill mixes.
You can Download HERE & find Bill HERE
Dub Ditch Mix #2
- BLACK LIPS - leroy faster (Bad Kids 7")
- DER BLUTHARSCH - untitled (split 7" w/ Novy Svet)
- THE RATS - kids are kids (Intermittent Signals LP)
- SALADE DE FRUITS - salade de fruits (Salade De Fruits cassette)
- LUBRICATED GOAT - play dead (Sub Pop 7")
- AIN SOPH - gulag mon amour (Oktober 3")
- THE NECESSARY EVILS - buzzsaw pt. 1 (Buzzsaw 7")
- THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS - andromeda suite '98 (The Pre-Millenial Single)
- DEATH IN JUNE - peaceful snow (7")
- SIGILLUM S - trascendence of desire signals (Boudoir Philosophy)
- TELEVISION PERSONALITIES - a memory is better than nothing (A Memory Is Better Than Nothing)
- NIKKI SUDDEN - channel steamer (7")
- SEX PISTOLS - submission (The Mini Album)
- FOSSILS - the golden door (The Golden Door 7")
- ANBB - one (Met Marut Handshake)
- ANDI SEX GANG - les amants d'un jour (Blind!)
- EMERALDS - candy shoppe (7")
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Just scored a couple copies of the following tapes from Wild Animal Kingdom- they should be here in a week or so. Email if you want to hold a copy
Guided By Guided By Voices Cassette WAK017
GBGBVOLYWA - Intro
Invisible Hand - Non-Absorbing
Chromium Bitch - Tractor Rape Chain
No Demons Here - Wondering Boy Poet/Game of Pricks
Martin Courtney IV - Kicker of Elves/As We Go Up We Go Down -
Andrew Cedermark - A Good Flying Bird
Air Waves - Back To The Lake
Big Troubles - A Big Fan of the Pigpen
Alex Bleeker and Evan Brody - Motor Away
Eternal Summers - A Salty Salute
Pill Wonder - My Valuable Hunting Knife
Hallelujah The Hills - Chicken Blows
FZ - I Am A Scientist
Harpoon Forever - Awful Bliss
Citymouth and Chromium Bitch - They're Not Witches
Fluffy Lumbers - Club Molluska
Dana Jewell - 14 Cheerleader Coldfront
60 Watt Kid - We Come From The Bright Side Cassette WAK011
We Come From The Bright Side
Take The Pain Away
Waking Up And Finding
Everything's Going To Be OK
I Want To Be Your Friend
Microchip For Dinner
Brasil Could Be Your Life Cassette WAK009
Casino - Samba Dada
Verano - La Fenetre
Holger - Brand New T-Shirt
Superbug - Summerly Yours
Nancy - Inbox Drama
Supercordas - e o Sol Brillhou Sobre o Verde
Lulina - Subtexto
Bearhug - A Storm, A Night Out
Homiepie - Snow Underwater
Os Gambitos - Dancefloor
Sunday, September 12, 2010
This is a criminally unknown private press psych LP. I don't know how/where I obtained this stuff, but it is AMAZING!!!! I might do a small run of this as a DDP Christmas gift CDR, but in the meantime, you can grab it now.
If you want to read more, Patrick Lundborg offers an great account of the record and the festival here. There's a bunch of photos there too... just like the ones above.
**** I poached all of this ('cept the Music) from the WFMU 365 Days Project Blog
The George School is a Quaker boarding school for ninth through twelfth grade students in Newtown, Pennsylvania... Though the plot as depicted in the liner notes seems relatively innocent - a loose contemporary adaptation of a Greek myth - closer inspection of the lyrics reveals some post-Summer of Love almost-drug-references, like this example (from "High Road"):
Have you seen the man from the moon?
He lives around the corner
Have you seen
He splashed down last June
I remember when he came back home
I looked into his eyes, you should have seen those rolling stones
Or this, from "Bright-Eyed One":
If you wanna see the universe
Discover what is real
Then step aboard my sunshine-mobile
Praise the Queen
Praise the Queen
She makes the grass green
...and so on. Then Director of Theatre Arts and lyricist/composer Robert F. Mandel is the culprit. Though it didn't seem like any of the current faculty had heard of the play (not surprising, given the number of musicals that have most likely been performed there since), a few persistent e-mails to the George School resulted in the two archived photos of the production seen below. The girl in the flannel shirt is Persephone (played by Bonnie Kron), holding the "golden umbrella", though I have no idea what's going on around her. It looks like a bee is attacking from the left, but who are the people next to her? The drones? What's the sculpture in the middle (a honeycomb?), or the net above it? Do these same bees make the honey referred to in "Sweet Honey"? If you look closely behind the sculpture to the left, you can see a (left handed?) guitar neck sticking out. I assume the other photo is the Sun Queen; I especially like the Pennsylvania Dutch styled sun in the background. I wish musicals in my high school had a band as cool as the one on this album - "High Hoppers" finds these teens jamming like it's 1968 instead of 73, with some great bluesy lead guitar & manic drum soloing. "Sweet Honey" is a funk tribute to the country mouse's substance of choice, and the aforementioned "High Road" plows through weird stop/start time signatures in search of consciousness expansion.
The George School exists to this day: http://www.georgeschool.org/
Special thanks to Rebecca J. Wilkinson and Kingdon Swane for the performance photos.
- Jeremy Pisani, http://geocities.com/elefantplatte/
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Keep yr. eyes here for some hot weirdo psych releases on InYrDisk and a cassette and CDR by Horders/Give Up
In the meantime - fix yr. eyes on what I saw at Grumpy's a few weekends ago.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
The Incinerators, Art Muscle, and F.P. Tranquilizer tapes are all still in print and there are some cool OOP releases on the store page too.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Friday, June 4, 2010
1. The Incinerators - The 90s Wuz Awesome c30
2. Art Muscle - No Emulsion c20
3. The IPS Mega Turd Dub Cassette c30
4. F.P. Tranquillizer - Summer Tape c30
Check back in a bit for images and samples....
In the meantime you can watch this
Thursday, April 8, 2010
After a few months since launching Prairie Fire Tapes, Cole and I have decided to branch of the main label to indulge some of our musical passions without muddying the waters of PFT. Cole will be the main force at STASIS HNW, while I will be making the jamz here at DDP.
I have a few irons in the fire - first being a resurrection of some soundz from Let's Get Dusted -one of the most amazing Winnipeg bands I have every heard - as well as continuing to release more stuff from T. Walker's no-fi, no wave, scuzz unit Art Muscle.
The demo policy here is very simple - you send it, I'll listen. If I like it - we'll make something happen. If you want to send something send some love here.
Criz April 2010